Monday, September 10, 2012

So excited!!!


The HIGHLIGHT of my literary life last year was reading Tea Obreht's The Tiger's Wife. I never officially reviewed it here, but it was nothing short of fabulous.

I first encountered Obreht's work when I read her short story of the same name in the New Yorker and was blown away.  Obreht seems to have an effortless command of everything I wish I could do as a writer: her work is richly researched, lyrical and vivid and deeply moving.  And she's 26. If this is what she's capable of at 26, I cannot wait to read her at 40.

Tonight, I'm headed to Strand to hear her in conversation with former Poet Laureate Charles Simic, and I'm super excited!!! I'm embarrassingly unfamiliar with Charles Simic's work, and I've never seen Obreht speak, so I promise to report back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment